My Guide Website?
Amsterdam Old City Private Walking Tour19 Reviews
Explore the highlights of Amsterdam on a private 2-hour walking tour tailored to your interests. Discover how the city became a center of world power in the 17th century, and admire the well preserved merchant houses along picturesque canals.
- Explore the history of Amsterdam on a stroll through the medieval center
- Discover hidden churches, the Old Church, and Oude Manshuispoort
- Stroll through the infamous Red Light District
- Wander Amsterdam's old Jewish District
- Visit the Begijnhof women's homes
- Go to Chinatown and the Nieuwmarkt
DescriptionEnjoy a private walking tour of Amsterdam with your own personal guide, and stroll through the medieval center to see parts of the old city wall. Continue along the famous canals to explore Chinatown, the former Jewish District, and the infamous Red Light District. Learn how Amsterdam was built on a reclaimed swamp, when the land was buried in mud and the harbor was almost inaccessible. Connection with the North Sea was not realised until the 19th century, but Amsterdam had already became one of the most important cities in the world. As you stroll, you will learn about its position as a major science and cultural center, and discover how in 1650 its population of 220,000 inhabitants made it the 3rd largest city in Europe. Your guide will explain key aspects of Amsterdam’s story, passing sights such as the 17th-century Oostindisch Huis, the Amsterdam headquarters of the East India Company. Discover old pawn shops and handsome merchant houses in the Jordaan district. Walk the banks of the Herengracht, one of the first 3 major canals of the city, and more.
Includes2-hour walking tour, adapted to your wishes Guide VAT
- • An interest in architecture and history is enough to enjoy this tour