My Guide Website?
Amsterdam: Old Town Self-Guided Audio Walking Tour9 Reviews
Explore Amsterdam’s Jewish and maritime past on a self-guided audio tour of the old town. Enjoy the magic of GPS playback while visiting the Nemo Science Museum, the Portuguese Synagogue, and more.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Amsterdam:If youʻre booking your trip to Amsterdam last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Amsterdam: Red-Light District Pub Crawl and Booze Boat Tour
- Marken, Volendam, and Edam Full-Day Tour from Amsterdam
- Amsterdam: Keukenhof & Dutch Countryside Small Group Tour
- From Amsterdam: Giethoorn & Zaanse Schans Tour w/ Small Boat
- Amsterdam: Windmill, Cheese & Clogs Countryside E-Bike Tour
- Roam the docklands, alleys and canals of the old east side
- Hear from producer Edmond Van Putte, a historical researcher
- Do it all in two hours or linger at stops along the way
- Get unlimited use before your booking date and after it
- Use the virtual tour option at home
DescriptionThe east side of old Amsterdam was once a centre of international trade and exploration, with parts of the city drawing a large Jewish community from the 1600s onwards. On this walking tour, I’ll tell you about this maritime history, and guide you through the old Jewish district, Jodenbuurt. As you roam the docklands, alleys and canals of the old east side, I’ll share the stories floating through its streets. You'll hear about the Dutch fleet, once the most powerful in the world, the eternal Anglo-Dutch wars, and how the old Navy Warehouse – now the National Maritime Museum – contributed to one of the worst defeats in the history of the British Navy. Speaking of museums, we’ll pass several that you may like to include in your Amsterdam explorations, including: • NEMO Science Museum, the green building shaped like a ship and built in what once was the arm of the sea that linked Amsterdam to the ocean • Hermitage Amsterdam, which houses a lot of Dutch artwork collected by the Russian Tsars • Rembrandt House Museum, modelled to look as it did in the 1600s • Verzetsmuseum Amsterdam (the Museum of WWII Resistance) where you can learn what life was like for locals during the war On this Amsterdam tour, you’ll also have the chance to: • Discover the rich traditions of Sephardic Jews while visiting the Portuguese Synagogue of Amsterdam, the largest synagogue in the world for centuries • Learn how WWII and the Holocaust almost fully wiped out Amsterdam’s Jewish population • Take in the many memorials around the Jewish District including the National Holocaust Names Monument and the Memorial to Auschwitz Victims • Stroll along Waterlooplein Market, one of the largest and oldest flea markets in the city • See Hortus Botanicus Amsterdam and ARTIS zoo, one of the oldest botanical gardens and zoos in the world • Hear about barges and traditional Dutch sailing ships including the magnificently refurbished East Indiaman Join me on this two-hour walk as we hop over a dozen artificial islands and past more than a dozen museums.
IncludesLifetime access to this tour in English VoiceMap app for Android and iOS Offline access to audio, maps, and geodata
- You need to install the VoiceMap smartphone app.
- You can download the tour at any time, before or after your booking date. It’s best to download the tour before you set off for the starting point.
- This tour follows a set route and includes turn-by-turn directions. It works best if you start it in the right place and follow the directions from one location to the next.
- When the download completes, you’ll see a screen with a photo of the starting point and directions to it. The red start button will become active when you are at the starting point.
- This tour is only available in English.