My Guide Website?
Amsterdam: Portuguese Synagogue Entrance Ticket46 Reviews
Marvel at the beautiful 17th-century interior of the Portuguese Synagogue in Amsterdam, a Sephardic place of worship with stunning architecture and artifacts. Visit all locations of the Jewish Cultural Quarter with the same ticket.
- See the 17th-century interior of Amsterdam's Portuguese Synagogue
- Explore the Jewish Historical Museum and the Jewish Museum junior
- Admire ceremonial objects of silver, gold, silk, and brocade
- Get access to all the monuments of the Jewish Cultural Quarter
- Enjoy classic Dutch-Jewish specialties in the Jewish Historical Museum café
DescriptionTravel back to the days of Amsterdam’s 'Golden Age' on an audio tour of the Portuguese Synagogue. Learn about a period of prosperity that would have been unimaginable without the contributions of the Jewish community. Erected in the heart of Amsterdam in 1675, the Portuguese Synagogue was the largest synagogue in the world at the time. While still used as a house of worship, the synagogue is also open to the public and hosts frequent concerts. Gaze in awe at the authentic interior of large stone pillars and white plaster walls. Marvel at the dark furniture bathed in the abundant light of 72 windows. Since its consecration, the synagogue has had no electric light or heating and is illuminated by the artificial light of 1,000 candles in its brass chandeliers. The sand on the wood floor protects it from dirt. Other buildings in the complex include the treasure chambers, where you can admire unique ceremonial objects of silver, gold, silk, and brocade. You can also see the oldest functioning Jewish library in the world at Ets Haim Livraria Montezinos (included by UNESCO in the Memory of the World Register). Access other attractions in the Jewish Cultural Quarter, including the Jewish Historical Museum, with its kid-approved Jewish Museum junior. See the National Holocaust Memorial and National Holocaust Museum. Learn more about Jewish culture, history and traditions. You can visit all locations with your ticket, which is valid for 1 month.
IncludesAdmission to the Portuguese Synagogue Admission to the Jewish Historical Museum Admission to the Jewish Museum junior Visit all permanent and temporary exhibitions in the Jewish Historical Museum Visit all locations within one month Audio guide and map of the Jewish Cultural Quarter
- Opening hours Portuguese Synagogue: Open Sunday-Friday from 10.00. Closing times vary monthly. Jewish Historical Museum and Jewish Museum junior: Open daily 10.00-17.00 · All locations are closed on 27 April (King’s Day), Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. · Audio tours are available in Dutch, English, German, French, Hebrew, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese · Food and drinks are not included · All locations are wheelchair accessible The National Holocaust Museum and National Holocaust Memorial (Hollandsche Schouwburg) are closed for reconstruction until mid 2023.