My Guide Website?
Amsterdam: Rijksmuseum Private Tour34 Reviews
Discover why the Dutch Masters of the 17th-century are still beloved today on a 2-hour private tour of the Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam. Learn about techniques used by Rembrandt, Vermeer and Hals as you see some of their masterpieces with full explanations.
- Learn about the Dutch Masters of the 17th century at the Rijksmuseum
- Visit the Honorary Gallery to see Rembrandt's masterpiece The Nightwatch
- Discover the difference between Medieval art and the innovative Flemish and Dutch Masters
- See masterpieces by Vermeer, Frans Hals, Rembrandt and more
DescriptionGet a better appreciation for art on a private 2-hour tour of the Rijksmuseum in central Amsterdam, and learn about the techniques of the Dutch Masters from a private guide. He will explain technical aspects of painting, as well discuss the hidden meanings of some of the works. For the average 17th century citizen, a painting was like reading a book, or looking at a cartoon! It was not just a pretty object; without school books and television, it also served as a teaching tool. History will spring to life as you look at paintings by Rembrandt, Vermeer, Frans Hals and more, including Rembrandt's masterpiece “The Nightwatch.” Learn how the Dutch ruled the waves, following in the footsteps of the Spanish and Portuguese. Hear how everyone wanted a piece of art on their walls, and why the painters made their art much closer to ordinary people than was previously the rule. Pictures of kings, queens and emperors, as well as mythological and historical scenes, were still drawn, but common scenes from daily life took the spotlight.
IncludesPrivate guide Advice on how to skip-the-line, or how to make it bearable!
- You will benefit from getting an 'Amsterdam Card' (available on GetYourGuide). This allows you access to unlimited museums, and includes public transport (train service from the airport to Amsterdam city centre, trams in town etc.)