My Guide Website?
Amsterdam: Volendam, Edam and Windmills Live Guided Tour546 Reviews
From the cheese weighing house in Volendam to a delightful walk through Edam, followed by a visit to the churning windmills of the Zaanse Schans, this tour highlights all that is typically Dutch.
- Explore the historic windmills of Zaanse Schans
- Learn how Dutch cheese is being made on an old farm
- Stroll the twisting streets of Volendam, and soak up the fishing village atmosphere
- Watch traditional craftsmen at work, making clogs and other artifacts
- Marvel at the landmark monuments of Volendam, including the old fish auction rooms
DescriptionEscape the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam on a half-day guided tour of the Dutch countryside, starting with a 20-minute drive to the windmill village of Zaanse Schans. This outdoor conservation area is situated on the banks of the Zaan River and is home to traditional 18th and 19th century architecture, including several functioning windmills. Watch live demonstrations of craftsmen at work, including a clog maker crafting the famous wooden shoes of the Netherlands. There will be some free time to explore the village on your own, before traveling through the distinctive polders (land reclaimed from the water) of the Beemster area. From there continue on to Edam, also commonly referred to as the pearl of the Zuiderzee. Edam’s ancient streets and tranquil canals are lined by beautiful 17th century buildings, including the leaning Carillon tower, the Great Church, and town hall. Most famous in Edam is beyond any doubt the public weighing house, where in summer still every Wednesday the famous Edam Cheese is being sold. After a stroll around this history-rich town, you’ll have the opportunity to see how Edam’s world-famous cheese is made and, of course, to taste it in a closeby cheese farm. Finally, you will stop in the beautiful seaside village of Volendam. This typical fishing village with its bustling harbor has been a major tourist attraction as early as 1875. People come from all over to see the small buildings and houses and take in the locals in their traditional Dutch clothing. This is a great place to pick up souvenirs for those at home or a memento for yourself, and to have photos taken in traditional Dutch costume. Your guide will take you on a short walk through the oldest parts of the city, exploring a labyrinth of twists and turns to sites such as St. Vincent’s Church, the wooden Stolphoevekerk and the Visafslag (Fish Auction).
IncludesTransportation by single decker bus with live guide Pick-up and drop off in Amsterdam All taxes and parking fees Visit to a clog (wooden shoe) maker Visit to a cheese weighing house Food and drinks Entry fee to the windmills at the Zaanse Schans Gratuities
- • Please note, the tour's itinerary may vary depending on the guide on the day
- This tour involves a small amount of walking
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Times are subject to change due to local traffic conditions
- Informative, friendly and professional live guide
- May be operated by a multi-lingual guide • This tour is not recommended for wheelchair-users or those with mobility issues
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Reserve Your Experience
Instant Booking ConfirmationBook Now